Do you need a break from the cumbersome process of requesting and monitoring time off? The Workday Absence app will provide a permanent vacation from the clunky system we use today. Several great features of the app were highlighted in the May Workday Walkthrough (linked at the bottom of this article).
Rachel Stieve, ATP Time and Absence Design Team Lead, demonstrated how staff will use the Absence app to enter, correct, and monitor time-off requests, as well as leaves of absence. Some features of the app all staff will enjoy:
- Real-time views of absence balances and projected balances after time-off requests are submitted
- Shared team time-off calendars to aid in planning
- A view of where requests are in the approval process
- Notifications if someone enters time on our behalf
- One place to request and view all types of time off, including a leave of absence
Managers and HR Absence Coordinators will also benefit from the streamlined system for approving time off. For example, they will find time-off and leave requests in their Workday inbox, and they will be able to view an employee’s previous absence requests and available balances. They will also be able to view the in-progress and approved time-off requests for their entire team to ensure adequate staffing.
The walkthrough also explained how hourly employees will enter time via Workday’s Time app and how managers will monitor recorded time.
To learn more about time and absence for University and Academic Staff in Workday, watch the May 2023 Workday Walkthrough.
What’s Changing, and Why Does It Matter?
- A worker can request leave, enter planned time off, and view projected time off in the Workday Absence app.
- A worker can view their team absence calendar to ensure there’s no conflict with coworkers.
- A worker can update hours worked on their mobile phone and view the status of when a manger has approved their time.
- When an employee goes on a leave of absence, their manager will receive a task to delegate the employee’s tasks to others to avoid bottlenecks.
- Employees can see real-time totals and balances that are updated in the moment.